(Above: Diahann Carroll in ‘Dynasty.’ Source: YouTube video)
Diahann Carroll, who died Friday at 84, won a Golden Globe for playing Julia (NBC, 1968-1971) — a nurse, a single mother of one, and TV’s first show starring a non-stereotyped black female. She then received an Oscar nomination for her very next role, as Claudine (1974), a single mother of six on welfare.
Unfortunately, neither Julia nor Claudine can be found on a streaming service. So we’ll settle for the following clip and trailer:
Fortunately, Carroll’s career as an actress and singer began a decade before Julia and continued many decades past Claudine, so you still have plenty of streaming choices.
We’ll start with her very first TV acting role: a 1955 episode of CBS’ General Electric Theater, starring Harry Belafonte and Ethel Waters, with host Ronald Reagan. You can stream it right here:
Besides Julia, Carroll was a regular on one other TV series: as Dominique Deveraux, the unlikeable half-sister of millionaire Blake Carrington, on ABC’s Dynasty from 1984 to 1987. Here’s her first scene:
Amazon Prime subscribers can stream the entire Dynasty series, which ran for 220 episodes over nine seasons from 1981 to 1989.
Carroll’s final TV role was a recurring one in USA Network’s White Collar crime drama, the one where Matt Bomer co-starred as a con man turned FBI undercover man. Hulu subscribers can stream all 81 episodes of the six-season, 2009-2014. series.
Here, in honor of Diahann Carroll, is “one more for the road”:
- ‘Craig Fixada America’ - October 15, 2019
- Fill up on ‘Corner Gas’ - October 14, 2019
- Robert Forster Sampler - October 14, 2019
- HBO’s Gary Gulman Free - October 11, 2019
- 25 Films in 25 Minutes - October 11, 2019
- Marshall Efron Classics - October 10, 2019
- RIP Rip Taylor - October 9, 2019
- A Goldbergs Yom Kippur - October 8, 2019
- Diahann Carroll Streams - October 7, 2019
- Old Meets New on ABC - October 4, 2019