Ten years after launching NBC Nonstop over the digital subchannels of NBC-owned TV stations – and seven years after replacing those all-news/lifestyle channels with Cozi TV — NBC is trying again with a new approach.
LX (Local X), which launched yesterday on YouTube and will go 24 hours over the air and streaming in April, offers “stories” geared to Gen Z and millennial audiences (aka adults 18-45).
NBC calls LX a “news brand that is solely dedicated to serving younger audiences and reinventing their news experience.”
LX named five “visual storytellers” based in Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami and New York. Their first stories include: “Fighting Rising Temperature with Urban Farming”; ”From Senegal to SoCal,” about a surfing program for black women; and “The Anti-Restaurant,” about a young female Asian chef who launched a successful restaurant without experience or training.
If the LX name sounds familiar, it could be because NBC’s LXTV has spent over a decade producing lifestyle shows for the network’s owned stations, including a bunch for NBC Nonstop and Cozi (e.g., Talk Stoop, 1st Look, George to the Rescue). For a while, LX even had its name in the title of a daily live show on New York’s WNBC.
- Her Revenge Starts Friday - August 11, 2020
- Unbelievable!!!!!! Trek Spoof - August 10, 2020
- Bug Appétit! Yummy? - August 10, 2020
- Tom Skerritt’s EVRGRN - August 6, 2020
- VENN: 24/7 for Gamers - August 6, 2020
- More Retro in NYC Metro - August 5, 2020
- ‘The Holocaust & Italy’ - August 3, 2020
- Evoca’s Next Gen TV Service - August 3, 2020
- ‘Upright’: Quite Alright! - July 31, 2020
- Zooming In, Hanging On - July 30, 2020