(Above: The cast of ‘Designing Women.’ Source: IMDb)
Starting this Monday, August 26, Hulu will be the exclusive subscription streaming home to all 163 episodes of Designing Women.
The sitcom, which aired seven seasons on CBS (1986 to 1993), stars Dixie Carter as Julia Sugarbaker, who runs her own design firm, Sugarbaker & Associates, out of her Atlanta home. Her “sssociates” are sister and silent partner Suzanne (Delta Burke), an ex-beauty queen; head designer Mary Jo (Annie Potts); and office manager Charlene Frazier (Jean Smart).
Newhart’s Julia Duffy and Saturday Night Live’s Jan Hooks replaced Burke and Smart in season six, and Judith Ivey took over from Duffy in the seventh and final season.
Ex-con handyman Anthony Bouvier (Meshach Taylor) is on hand to help with the firm, as well as personal issues.
Linda Bloodworth-Thomason created the series.
For more, visit Hulu.
Designing Women is also free via GetTV. The over-the-air channel broadcasts back-to-back episodes of Designing Women weekdays at 4 am ET. You can watch it by hooking an antenna up to your TV set and finding your local station at “Get the Channel.”
And as of now, you can find select episodes on YouTube and Dailymotion, as per below:
Burke’s departure from Designing Women was precipitated by behind-the-scenes friction with producers. She did return, however, in a short-lived Designing Women spinoff, Women of the House (1995), which aired for 12 episodes on CBS. In that series, Burke inherits the US Congressional seat of her recently deceased husband. Burke’s staff includes press secretary Sissy Emerson (Teri Garr) and administrative assistant Natty Hollingsworth (Everybody Loves Raymond’s Patricia Heaton). Breaking Bad’s Jonathan Banks plays her brother Jim.
- A ‘Cyberchase’ Thanksgiving - November 20, 2019
- Two Docs, Two Tragedies - November 19, 2019
- Review: Bingeable ‘Crown’ - November 18, 2019
- Decades’ ‘Batman’ Binge - November 15, 2019
- More People Use TV Antennas - November 15, 2019
- More ‘Cold as Balls’ - November 13, 2019
- Garlin Stand-Up in Chicago - November 12, 2019
- ‘Nunsense’ TV Specials - November 12, 2019
- UpliftTV Shows Parables - November 11, 2019
- Decades’ ‘Super’ Binge - November 8, 2019