(Above: Kotter and the Sweathogs. Source: IMDb)
Free over-the-air channel Antenna TV will host a Welcome Back, Kotter marathon this Saturday, August 17, from 1 to 10 pm ET (check with Antenna TV for the airtimes in your area).
The series, which originally aired on ABC for four seasons (95 episodes, 1975 to 1979), stars Gabe Kaplan as wise-cracking high school teacher Gabe Kotter. Kotter develops a bond with four remedial students known as “the Sweathogs” – Vinnie Barbarino (John Travolta), Freddie “Boom-Boom” Washington (Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs), Juan Epstein (Robert Hegyes) and Arnold Horshack (Ron Palillo). After all, Kotter himself had been a Sweathog.
The cast also includes Marcia Strassman as Kotter’s wife Julie, and John Sylvester White as the dyspeptic vice principal, Mr. Woodman.
The marathon kicks off with the pilot episode, followed by a season one episode, “The Election,” featuring Vinnie’s run for student body president. Then from 3 to 4 pm, there’s a two-part episode, “Follow the Leader,” in which Vinnie gets dethroned as leader of the Sweathogs, prompting him to drop out of high school.
Antenna TV regularly airs Welcome Back, Kotter weekdays at 3 pm.
For a complete schedule, visit Antenna TV.
You can watch Antenna TV for free even if you don’t subscribe to cable, satellite or telco TV by using…as its name implies…an antenna hooked up to your TV set.
Visit Antenna TV’s Channel Finder to find your local station.
- A ‘Cyberchase’ Thanksgiving - November 20, 2019
- Two Docs, Two Tragedies - November 19, 2019
- Review: Bingeable ‘Crown’ - November 18, 2019
- Decades’ ‘Batman’ Binge - November 15, 2019
- More People Use TV Antennas - November 15, 2019
- More ‘Cold as Balls’ - November 13, 2019
- Garlin Stand-Up in Chicago - November 12, 2019
- ‘Nunsense’ TV Specials - November 12, 2019
- UpliftTV Shows Parables - November 11, 2019
- Decades’ ‘Super’ Binge - November 8, 2019