(Above: Sheng Yilun and Ye Zhao in ‘Oh My General.’ Source: Toku)
Toku, the subscription streamer specializing in English-dubbed Asian anime and live action programming, has dropped a romantic, gender-bending comedy, Oh My General.
The 60-episode series is set during the Song Dynasty (960-1279 CE) in China. It was a period of great technological innovation – e.g., the invention of banknotes and gunpowder – but not a great one for women seeking social mobility. Ye Zhao (Ma Sichun) gets around those restrictions by cross-dressing, becoming the country’s finest general.
Ye Zhao’s remarkable rise to power attracts the scrutiny of the dowager empress who arranges for her to wed one of the emperor’s nephews, Zhao Yujin (Sheng Yilun), the handsome, ne’er-do-well son of Prince Zhao of Nanping. Once married, the question becomes, ‘Who’s the boss?’
Oh My General was directed by Wu Gang and produced by Jin Yifei.
For more info, visit watchtoku.com. The price is $3.99 monthly or $39.99 annually, following a seven-day free trial.
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021
- ‘Pray, Obey, Kill’ Docuseries - April 12, 2021