(Above: Sheng Yilun and Ye Zhao in ‘Oh My General.’ Source: Toku)
Toku, the subscription streamer specializing in English-dubbed Asian anime and live action programming, has dropped a romantic, gender-bending comedy, Oh My General.
The 60-episode series is set during the Song Dynasty (960-1279 CE) in China. It was a period of great technological innovation – e.g., the invention of banknotes and gunpowder – but not a great one for women seeking social mobility. Ye Zhao (Ma Sichun) gets around those restrictions by cross-dressing, becoming the country’s finest general.
Ye Zhao’s remarkable rise to power attracts the scrutiny of the dowager empress who arranges for her to wed one of the emperor’s nephews, Zhao Yujin (Sheng Yilun), the handsome, ne’er-do-well son of Prince Zhao of Nanping. Once married, the question becomes, ‘Who’s the boss?’
Oh My General was directed by Wu Gang and produced by Jin Yifei.
For more info, visit watchtoku.com. The price is $3.99 monthly or $39.99 annually, following a seven-day free trial.
- ‘Dead’ Profiles and More - July 14, 2021
- Kratts, Dogs, Wild Museums - July 12, 2021
- Troubled in Paradise - July 9, 2021
- More U.S. Viewers Cut the Cord - July 7, 2021
- Binge July 4th TV - July 2, 2021
- Binge ‘Hamilton’ and More - July 1, 2021
- ‘Twilight Zone’ Holiday - June 30, 2021
- ‘Innocent’ Anthology Returns - June 23, 2021
- South Asian Streamer Launches - June 21, 2021
- Apple TV+ Gets ‘Physical’ - June 16, 2021