(Above: Sheng Yilun and Ye Zhao in ‘Oh My General.’ Source: Toku)
Toku, the subscription streamer specializing in English-dubbed Asian anime and live action programming, has dropped a romantic, gender-bending comedy, Oh My General.
The 60-episode series is set during the Song Dynasty (960-1279 CE) in China. It was a period of great technological innovation – e.g., the invention of banknotes and gunpowder – but not a great one for women seeking social mobility. Ye Zhao (Ma Sichun) gets around those restrictions by cross-dressing, becoming the country’s finest general.
Ye Zhao’s remarkable rise to power attracts the scrutiny of the dowager empress who arranges for her to wed one of the emperor’s nephews, Zhao Yujin (Sheng Yilun), the handsome, ne’er-do-well son of Prince Zhao of Nanping. Once married, the question becomes, ‘Who’s the boss?’
Oh My General was directed by Wu Gang and produced by Jin Yifei.
For more info, visit watchtoku.com. The price is $3.99 monthly or $39.99 annually, following a seven-day free trial.
- Stuck in ‘Castle Rock’ - October 22, 2019
- Visiting Old ‘Haunt'(s) - October 22, 2019
- Free ‘Love’ From CBS - October 21, 2019
- ‘Twin Peaks’ Binge - October 18, 2019
- Living Room or Multiplex? - October 17, 2019
- Playing God - October 16, 2019
- AMC Theatres at Home - October 15, 2019
- Hulu Up North - October 14, 2019
- Boris Karloff’s ‘Thriller’ - October 11, 2019
- Jesse’s Back - October 10, 2019