(Above: John Turturro in ‘The Name of the Rose.’ Source: YouTube video)
The Name of the Rose, an Italian-produced, English-language miniseries based on Umberto Eco’s novel, will bow its first episode on subscription streamer Sundance Now this Tuesday, August 13. Subsequent episodes will drop every Tuesday.
But here’s something even better: You can binge the entire eight-episode series now through this Sunday, August 11, for free – no log-in required – at Sundance TV.
The medieval whodunnit is set in the winter of 1327. John Turturro plays Franciscan friar William of Baskerville who travels to an isolated Benedictine abbey in the Italian Alps. The place is rife with secrets and weird goings-on – and is also the scene of a string of murders. Williams and his young apprentice (Damian Hardung) turn detectives, seeking to find the truth without incurring the wrath of a powerful Inquisitor (Rupert Everett).
The cast includes Greta Scarano and Nicholas Turturro, John’s brother.
The series originally aired on Italian television in March and on Sundance TV in May.
If you miss the Sundance TV free binge and don’t subscribe to Sundance Now, The Name of the Rose is also available to purchase via Amazon starting at $1.99 per episode or $19.99 for the entire miniseries.
Sundance Now costs $6.99 monthly or $59.99 annually, after a seven-day free trial.
A 1986 movie adaptation of the same novel – starring Sean Connery, Christian Slater, F. Murray Abraham, Michael Lonsdale and Ron Perlman – is available to rent starting at $2.99 from Google Play, Microsoft and YouTube.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021