(Photo: Amal Bouchoucha and Adel Karam in ‘Dollar.’ Source: Netflix)
Netflix is flashing its international tentacles this week with premieres of series emanating from three different continents.
The Naked Director (Thursday, August 8) is based on the true story of Toru Muranishi, a daring director who revolutionized the Japanese adult video industry during the 1980s. Takayuki Yamada plays Muranishi in the 10-episode series, which looks like a natural for fans of the 1997 flick Boogie Nights or HBO’s current series, The Deuce.
Dollar (Thursday, August 8) is 15-episode action thriller set in Lebanon. Adel Karam plays an ad man promoting the launch of a new bank through a promotion involving a single one-dollar bill. Amal Bouchoucha plays an exec at the bank. No word on who’s providing the voices in Netflix’s dubbed trailer:
Set to the beat of Brazilian funk ostentação, Sintonia (Friday, August 9) is a six-episode crime drama about three childhood friends, now teens, attempting to pursue their dreams in a world filled with music, drugs and religion. Similar stories might be set in any urban area, but this one comes to us in Portuguese, with English subtitles, from the environs of São Paulo, Brazil.
- ‘Will & Grace’ Returns - October 23, 2019
- A Meeting of Kings - October 22, 2019
- ‘Intelligent Lives’ Doc - October 21, 2019
- Dorothy Stratten Videos - October 18, 2019
- YouTube’s ‘Booktube’ - October 17, 2019
- Facebook’s ‘Limetown’ - October 16, 2019
- An Ad-Supported MHz - October 16, 2019
- ‘Craig Fixada America’ - October 15, 2019
- Fill up on ‘Corner Gas’ - October 14, 2019
- Robert Forster Sampler - October 14, 2019