(Photo: Abe Vigoda as Fish, 1977)
Who could resist a free ‘Friday Fish Fry” in July?
Especially when the Fish being served is Abe Vigoda in the classic police sitcom Barney Miller.
Every Friday this month, over-the-air channel Antenna TV will run six episodes of Barney Miller, featuring Vigoda as grumpy Sergeant Phil Fish, from 7 pm to 10 pm ET.
Barney Miller originally ran on ABC for 170 episodes over eight seasons (1975 to 1982). But most of Antenna TV’s July feast should come from the first two-and-a half seasons, since Fish then left the police squad to topline his own family sitcom. That show, Fish, lasted for just one season of 35 episodes.
Fish is much harder to catch, but we were able to hook one episode on YouTube:
If you found Fish a little hard to swallow, here’s a serious Vigoda in his most famous movie role: Sal Tessio in The Godfather:
Antenna TV also airs two episodes of Barney Miller every weeknight at 9 pm and Saturdays at 8 pm. In addition to Vigoda, the show’s stellar ensemble cast includes Hal Linden as Captain Miller, Max Gail as Detective Wojciehowicz, Ron Glass as Detective Harris, Jack Soo as Sergeant Yemana, Gregory Sierra as Sergeant Chano, and Steve Landesberg as Detective Dietrich.
You can watch Antenna TV for free with an antenna hooked to your TV set. For your local channel number, visit the network’s Channel Finder.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021