(Above: Lizzy Caplan in ‘Das Boot.’ Photo credit: Nik Konietzny, courtesy Hulu)
Exactly a month after premiering George Clooney’s Catch-22, Hulu today drops another new version of a well-known film and novel depicting the “senseless reality of World War II”: an eight-episode, German production of Das Boot.
“Inspired” by both the 1981 international hit movie Das Boot and the 1973 Lothar-Günther Buchheim novel upon which that film was based, Hulu’s series follows the claustrophobic life of a German U-Boat submarine crew.
The series takes place in the final months of 1942, about a year after the action in the famous movie. In addition to the German sailors at sea, the new Das Boot follows a parallel story of the French resistance. The series switches between German, French and English while the original film was entirely in German.
The new Das Boot debuted last November on Europe’s Sky Pic. It features an international cast, including familiar faces like Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex), Vincent Kartheiser (Mad Men), Vicky Krieps (Phantom Thread), Tom Wlaschiha (Game of Thrones), James D’Arcy (Marvel’s Agent Carter), August Wittgenstein (The Crown), and Rainer Bock (Inglourious Basterds).
All eight hours of the Das Boot series are available today to Hulu subscribers.
The 1981 German Das Boot was nominated for six Oscars, including Best Director, but surprisingly not for Best Foreign Film. It was 2½ hours long. In 1997, director Wolfgang Petersen added an hour of footage for a 3½-hour version. That “Director’s Cut” is available to stream from $2.99 at Google Play, iTunes or Vudu.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021