(Above: Lizzy Caplan in ‘Das Boot.’ Photo credit: Nik Konietzny, courtesy Hulu)
Exactly a month after premiering George Clooney’s Catch-22, Hulu today drops another new version of a well-known film and novel depicting the “senseless reality of World War II”: an eight-episode, German production of Das Boot.
“Inspired” by both the 1981 international hit movie Das Boot and the 1973 Lothar-Günther Buchheim novel upon which that film was based, Hulu’s series follows the claustrophobic life of a German U-Boat submarine crew.
The series takes place in the final months of 1942, about a year after the action in the famous movie. In addition to the German sailors at sea, the new Das Boot follows a parallel story of the French resistance. The series switches between German, French and English while the original film was entirely in German.
The new Das Boot debuted last November on Europe’s Sky Pic. It features an international cast, including familiar faces like Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex), Vincent Kartheiser (Mad Men), Vicky Krieps (Phantom Thread), Tom Wlaschiha (Game of Thrones), James D’Arcy (Marvel’s Agent Carter), August Wittgenstein (The Crown), and Rainer Bock (Inglourious Basterds).
All eight hours of the Das Boot series are available today to Hulu subscribers.
The 1981 German Das Boot was nominated for six Oscars, including Best Director, but surprisingly not for Best Foreign Film. It was 2½ hours long. In 1997, director Wolfgang Petersen added an hour of footage for a 3½-hour version. That “Director’s Cut” is available to stream from $2.99 at Google Play, iTunes or Vudu.
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021