Scary visions of the near future return tomorrow, June 5, with the season premieres of two of streaming TV’s biggest hits: Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale and Netflix’s Black Mirror.
The Handmaid’s Tale, Hulu’s breakthrough show, won 11 Emmys and two Golden Globes for its first two seasons. Based on Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel, the series stars Elisabeth Moss as June/Offred, a fertile woman forced into sexual servitude in a totalitarian state desperate to repopulate. In season three’s 13 episodes, June struggles to fight back against overwhelming odds.
Here’s the commercial for The Handmaid’s Tale that ran during this year’s Super Bowl:
Black Mirror, Netflix’s anthology series that looks at chilling possibilities stemming from today’s new technologies, won six Emmys over its first four seasons. Season five’s three episodes star Andrew Scott, Miley Cyrus and Anthony Mackie in stories respectively titled “Smithereens,” “Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too” and “Striking Vipers.”
Hulu subscribers can see 23 episodes from The Handmaid’s Tale’s first two seasons now, with three new episodes debuting on June 5. After tomorrow, new episodes will roll out every Wednesday through August 14. To watch, visit Hulu.
Netflix subscribers can see 19 episodes from Black Mirror’s first four seasons now, with three new episodes debuting on June 5. To watch, visit Netflix.
- Is the Weed Kosher Too? - June 25, 2019
- Tiananmen Doc Tuesday - June 24, 2019
- Sherlock Holmes’ Rivals - June 21, 2019
- Funny ‘Brazzy Jazzy’ - June 21, 2019
- Stiles’ ‘Riviera’ 2 - June 20, 2019
- CBS’ Lifestyle Dabble - June 19, 2019
- ‘When Whales Walked’ - June 19, 2019
- Welsh ‘Living a Lie’ - June 18, 2019
- Das Re-Boot on Hulu - June 17, 2019
- Film of the Week Club - June 17, 2019