(Photo: Lee Remick as ‘Jennie, Lady Randolph Churchill.’ Courtesy Acorn TV)
Jennie, Lady Randolph Churchill Is Coming to Acorn TV.
The mother of Winston Churchill, the great British prime minister, was born just a few blocks from The Savvy Screener’s Brooklyn location. I’ve often passed the brownstone plaque confirming this, but never thought much about the woman herself.
I probably won’t learn anything about Jennie’s time in Brooklyn, though. The seven-part miniseries begins the year she meets Winston’s father as a 19-year-old in England and then follows “her whirlwind marriage, Winston’s youth, a feud with royalty, exile from England and eventual return.”
For an American woman married to a upper-class Brit in the early 20th Century, she sure beats Downton Abbey’s Cora (Elizabeth McGovern) on the excitement meter!
Jennie, Lady Randolph Churchill, produced by Britain’s Thames Television in 1974, came to the US via PBS’ Great Performances the following year. The New York Times called it an “exquisite portrait…of uncommon intelligence and charm.”
Three years earlier, Jennie was played by Anne Bancroft in the feature film Young Winston, which won the final Golden Globe ever awarded in the category of Best English-Language Foreign Film.
Where to stream the two Jennies
Jennie, Lady Randolph Churchill: Acorn TV costs $4.99 monthly or $49.99 for a year, with a seven-day free trial. For more info, visit Acorn.tv.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021