Yesterday ABC revisited two of the greatest shows of the ‘70s and ‘80s with its live reboot of All in the Family and The Jeffersons.
Tonight, the network will fill the same time period (8-10 pm ET/PT) with a documentary on one of the greatest stars of the ‘70s and ‘80s: Farrah Fawcett.
This is Farrah Fawcett will look at the actress’ “life, career, fame and lasting legacy…through new interviews with those who knew her best, and rare footage from the intimate video diaries of her fight against cancer.” Fawcett died from the disease 10 years ago next month at the age of 62.
Fawcett rocketed to fame as a co-star on ABC’s Charlie’s Angels, which she left after only one season (1976-1977). But she truly moved beyond fan adoration to critical success with her starring role in The Burning Bed, an NBC movie (1984) which earned her Emmy and Golden Globe nominations – and helped change domestic abuse laws.
The Burning Bed was based on a true story, as was another TV movie for which Fawcett earned both Emmy and Golden Globe noms: ABC’s Small Sacrifices (1989). In this one, rather than taking her children away from an abusive husband, Fawcett’s character decides to take her kids’ lives. You can watch the entire film right here:
Fawcett also won acclaim for playing a rape victim who turns on her attacker in the 1983 off-Broadway play Extremities. It became a 1986 feature film, which earned her another Golden Globe nomination. You can stream it from Amazon or iTunes for $3.99.
For the less serious side of Farrah Fawcett, we’d of course recommend Charlie’s Angels. Over-the-air channel MeTV runs the series weekdays at 5 pm ET, but is currently into the non-Fawcett second season. You can, however, find episodes from season one on Dailymotion. So, here’s how the series started:
- ‘High Castle’ Ends Today - November 15, 2019
- Corman and Dante Debuts - November 15, 2019
- Report on ‘The Report’ - November 13, 2019
- ‘All Hail Beth’ on YouTube - November 13, 2019
- Some Cash, More Parton - November 12, 2019
- Meet Historical Heroes - November 11, 2019
- Give Me ‘My First Kiss’ - November 8, 2019
- Dragula Moves to Netflix - November 8, 2019
- Tango Down on Vidi Space - November 7, 2019
- Real-Life Time Travelers - November 6, 2019