TV antennas continue to make a comeback, according to a report from Horowitz Research.
The study found that 34% of TV viewers use antennas to watch content over the air. What’s more, antenna owners skew younger, with 40% in the 18-34 age range vs. 31% of all TV viewers. They also tend to be male – 59% for antenna users vs. 49% of all viewers.
More than 50% of cord cutters and 30% of cable/satellite/telco subscribers have an antenna, the study said. Antenna owners were also found more likely to subscribe to one of the three major streamers – Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime.
“With today’s stronger signals and advances in technology, along with improved design aesthetics, antennas are re-emerging as an inexpensive and practical way of accessing TV content,” said Stephanie Wong, Horowitz’s director of insights and strategy. “Viewers are finding that they can piece together their ‘cable service’ using SVOD services and over-the-air broadcasts at what they perceive to be a dramatically reduced cost.”
Horowitz Research’s findings point to the continuation of a trend reported by Park Associates in 2017. That firm’s research revealed that the number of households with antenna-only access had risen to 15% in 2016.
In addition to their main broadcast channels, antenna owners are able to access a wide range of digital services (diginets) such as MeTV, Decades, Start TV and the aptly named Antenna TV. To peruse programming available via antenna, visit thesavvyscreener.com/topics/what2watch/over-the-air/.
For more on Horowitz’s State of Pay TV, OTT & SVOD 2019 study, visit Horowitz Research.
- Hot Shows/Films on Prime - December 5, 2019
- ‘Mrs. Maisel’ On Tour - December 4, 2019
- ‘Truth Be Told’ on Friday - December 3, 2019
- Netflix’s ‘Astronomy Club’ - December 3, 2019
- ‘Sanborn Sessions’ - December 2, 2019
- ‘V Wars’ Vampire Series - November 29, 2019
- Thanksgiving TV Menu - November 27, 2019
- ‘Dennis the Menace’ - November 26, 2019
- Laurel & Hardy Holiday - November 25, 2019
- The Real ‘Mister Rogers’ - November 22, 2019