(Above: Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium. Photo by Daniel Schwen, via Wikimedia)
A new country music lifestyle channel out of Nashville will launch over the air (OTA) in early 2020, followed by a subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) streaming service later that year, announced Opry Entertainment Group and Gray Television, partners in the venture.
Content will come from Opry, which is part of Ryman Hospitality. Together, those names evoke Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry and its original venue Ryman Auditorium. The company’s legacy goes back over 93 years, with its TV show library including such shows as Hee Haw (655 episodes over 25 seasons from 1967 to 1997 on CBS, syndication and The Nashville Network). Here’s a sample of that show’s mix of music and comedy:
Gray’s owned/operated TV stations in 93 markets will serve as the focal point for the 24/7 over-the-air channel. To see if you’re likely to get it, check out Gray’s coverage map.
Specific content for the OTA and SVOD services was not announced, but rest assured that they will “highlight country music artists and the passions, hobbies and love of music they share with their fans.” Pricing plans for the SVOD service were also not announced, nor a name for the venture.
For more info, visit joinusinthecountry.com.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021