(Above: Chloë Sevigny in ‘Lizzie.’ Source: YouTube video)
Horror streamer Shudder will add the 2018 psychological thriller Lizzie tomorrow, April 11.
Lizzie revisits the 1892 ax murders of Andrew and Abby Borden in Fall River, Mass. The chief suspect, daughter Lizzie, was acquitted after a sensational trial. She soon became the stuff of legend – and nursery rhymes (“Lizzie Borden took an ax and gave her mother 40 whacks…”)
This drama looks at Lizzie’s life as a member of one of America’s most notoriously dysfunctional families, but with an added wrinkle: Lizzie has a romantic relationship with the maid.
Directed by Craig William Macneil, the cast includes Chloë Sevigny (Lizzie), Jamey Sheridan (Andrew), Fiona Shaw (Abby) and Kim Dickens (older sister Emma). Kristen Stewart plays the maid, Bridget Sullivan.
Shudder costs $4.99 monthly or $47.88 for an annual membership. Both plans come with a seven-day free trial. For more info, including devices, visit shudder.com.
If you’re looking to go on a Lizzie Borden binger, other noteworthy dramatizations include:
The Lizzie Borden Chronicles (2015), an eight-episode Lifetime sequel offering a fictionalized account of the defendant’s (Ricci) life after her acquittal. That series is also on Netflix, with individual episodes available to purchase from $1.99 on Amazon, Vudu and other services.
The Legend of Lizzie Borden, a 1975 ABC movie focusing on Lizzie’s trial. Bewitched’s Elizabeth Montgomery received an Emmy nomination for her portrayal of the accused killer, and the film got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Motion Picture for Television.
You can watch the entire movie below:
- The Real ‘Mister Rogers’ - November 22, 2019
- Streaming ‘Mr. Selfridge’ - November 21, 2019
- A ‘Cyberchase’ Thanksgiving - November 20, 2019
- Two Docs, Two Tragedies - November 19, 2019
- Review: Bingeable ‘Crown’ - November 18, 2019
- Decades’ ‘Batman’ Binge - November 15, 2019
- More People Use TV Antennas - November 15, 2019
- More ‘Cold as Balls’ - November 13, 2019
- Garlin Stand-Up in Chicago - November 12, 2019
- ‘Nunsense’ TV Specials - November 12, 2019