(Above: Sir George Martin in ‘Soundbreaking,’ courtesy Acorn TV)
Before his death in 2016, legendary Beatles producer Sir George Martin executive-produced that year’s Soundbreaking, Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music, an eight-part series on the art and evolution of music recording.
Topics range from the Beatles’ groundbreaking use of multitrack technology to the synthesized stylings of Stevie Wonder, from disco-era drum machines to the modern art of sampling.
Soundbreaking, Martin’s final project, originally aired on PBS and today comes to subscription streamer Acorn TV. The series is also available to Hulu subscribers and free on Hoopla, if you’re a member of a participating library.
The series includes more than 100 original interviews and a soundtrack over 300 songs. Featured artists include Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Joni Mitchell, Dave Grohl, Debbie Harry, Steven Van Zandt, Chuck D, BB King, Brian Eno, Tom Petty, Roger Daltrey, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart, Smokey Robinson, Quincy Jones, RZA, Roger Waters, St. Vincent, Rick Rubin, Bonnie Raitt, Questlove and Beck.
- Sandler & Aniston Again - June 14, 2019
- ‘Village of the Year’ - June 14, 2019
- RVN: ‘Bridging the Gap’ - June 13, 2019
- ‘Father Knows Best’ - June 12, 2019
- Netflix’s Arabic ‘Jinn’ - June 12, 2019
- ‘Real World’ Season 33 - June 11, 2019
- ‘City on a Hill’ Free - June 10, 2019
- Scandi-Kiwi Noir - June 10, 2019
- Binge ‘Adoptable!’ - June 7, 2019
- ‘Old Dogs & New Tricks’ - June 7, 2019