(Above: Shefali Shah in ‘Delhi Crime.’ Source: Netflix)
It’s a big weekend for US fans of Indian entertainment, with the debuts of Delhi Crime on Netflix and Premier League cricket on Hotstar.
Delhi Crime, which dropped this morning, is a seven-episode police procedural based on the true story of a 2012 brutal gang rape/murder that enraged Indians, resulting in protests for victims’ rights and legal changes. Delhi Crime is In Hindi and English, with subtitles, and stars Shefali Shah as investigating officer Varthika Chaturvedi.
For more info on Delhi Crime, visit Netflix.com/DelhiCrime. For more on the case itself, the 2015 BBC documentary India’s Daughter is available on Kanopy, a free streaming service for members of participating libraries.
Indian Premier League
The Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket matches will start tomorrow, March 23, on Hotstar, a subscription streaming service which offers Indian movies and TV dramas as well as sports. Hotstar will live-stream all the league’s matches, each of which will then be available on demand. Commentary is offered in six languages: English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Bengali.
The IPL season includes 60 matches through Sunday, May 19. The first match is Saturday at 10:30 am ET between the Super Kings and Royal Challengers.
Here’s action from last year:
- Wouk and Remembrance - May 20, 2019
- Blue Man Group Series - May 17, 2019
- ‘The Rain’ Drops Again - May 17, 2019
- Culture, Creepy, Weird - May 16, 2019
- ‘Earth’s Call’ Saturday - May 16, 2019
- Lipton, Conway Tributes - May 15, 2019
- Streaming ‘Scribbles’ - May 14, 2019
- Choi’s ‘Broken Bread’ - May 14, 2019
- RIP Doris Day - May 13, 2019
- Ms. Moviefone’s Show - May 10, 2019