(Above: Shefali Shah in ‘Delhi Crime.’ Source: Netflix)
It’s a big weekend for US fans of Indian entertainment, with the debuts of Delhi Crime on Netflix and Premier League cricket on Hotstar.
Delhi Crime, which dropped this morning, is a seven-episode police procedural based on the true story of a 2012 brutal gang rape/murder that enraged Indians, resulting in protests for victims’ rights and legal changes. Delhi Crime is In Hindi and English, with subtitles, and stars Shefali Shah as investigating officer Varthika Chaturvedi.
For more info on Delhi Crime, visit Netflix.com/DelhiCrime. For more on the case itself, the 2015 BBC documentary India’s Daughter is available on Kanopy, a free streaming service for members of participating libraries.
Indian Premier League
The Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket matches will start tomorrow, March 23, on Hotstar, a subscription streaming service which offers Indian movies and TV dramas as well as sports. Hotstar will live-stream all the league’s matches, each of which will then be available on demand. Commentary is offered in six languages: English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Bengali.
The IPL season includes 60 matches through Sunday, May 19. The first match is Saturday at 10:30 am ET between the Super Kings and Royal Challengers.
Here’s action from last year:
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021