(Above: Scene from ‘Afghan Cycles,’ grand prize winner of Women’s Voices Now Online Film Festival. Source: Vimeo video)
“We Are the Ones We’re Waiting For,” featuring the six winning films from Women’s Voices Now’s sixth annual Online Film Festival, runs on Vimeo today through March 31.
The festival’s title refers to women not needing to wait for an “external liberator…. The hero — she is within.”
For $4.99, with all proceeds going toward cash prizes for next year’s festival, you can see all of the following winners on Vimeo.
Sarah Menzies’ Afghan Cycles, a feature documentary about Afghan women using bicycles as a vehicle for freedom, empowerment, and social change.
Best Documentary Feature
Morrisa Maltz’s Ingrid, a look at a woman who left her life as a mother and successful fashion designer to become a recluse focused solely on creating art.
Best Documentary Short
Lora Murray’s Strangers Ourselves, about an 86-year-old woman who has helped 92 refugees resettle in Canada since 1979.
Best Narrative Short
Mary-Lyn Chambers’ Debris-Escombos, about a 12-year-old girl who arrives at a US immigration detention center with nothing but the clothes on her back, her mute younger brother, and a treasured music box.
Best Experimental Short
Dina Fiasconaro’s Commercial for the Queen of Meatloaf, a surrealist take on 1950s TV commercials in which a bored housewife attempts to spice up her marriage by preparing a delicious meatloaf for dinner.
Outstanding Youth Film
Cristina García Zarzosa’s Realness, a short study from Spain on gender identity, sexual orientation, and coming of age through the eyes of a boy.
- ‘Carl Weber’s Influence’ - February 20, 2020
- Redbox Free Live TV - February 19, 2020
- ‘Sacred Lies,’ Season 2 - February 18, 2020
- ‘Odd Squad,’ Season 3 - February 17, 2020
- ‘Fairy Tale Weddings’ - February 14, 2020
- GetTV’s Grizzly Saturday - February 13, 2020
- Galaxy S20’s Flipboard TV - February 13, 2020
- Hulu’s Musical Debuts - February 12, 2020
- Watch V-Day Marathons - February 11, 2020
- RIP Bean, Conrad - February 10, 2020