(Above: Martin Clunes in ‘Manhunt,’ courtesy Acorn TV)
Could self-centered, socially inept Doc Martin track down a serial killer?
Absolutely not! But that show’s star, Martin Clunes, playing determined London police detective Colin Sutton, does so convincingly in Acorn TV’s Manhunt.
The three-parter, debuting Monday, is a taut, methodical police procedural based on a true story from a decade ago.
Martin, who also broke his Doc Martin image by playing repellent Sir Pitt Crawley in Amazon Prime’s recent Vanity Fair, is transformed as the bespectacled Sutton — an investigator who doggedly pursues improbable leads to not only find a killer, but also gather enough evidence for conviction.
Alas, Sutton’s obsession with his job makes him not so different from Doc Martin after all. He too neglects personal relationships, leading to trying times with his wife and daughter.
You can stream Manhunt starting Monday, March 11, on Acorn, where the ninth and perhaps final season of Doc Martin will also debut later this year. In the meantime, Acorn offers the entire first eight seasons (62 episodes) right now. Non-Acorn subscribers should eventually be able to watch season nine on public TV, where season eight is now running.
Here, Martin Clunes discusses both Manhunt and Doc Martin with Acorn’s chief content officer, Mark Stevens:
Acorn TV costs $4.99 monthly or $49.99 for a year, with a seven-day free trial. For more info, visit acorn.tv.
- Indian Crime & Cricket - March 22, 2019
- Sunday is ‘Playtime’ - March 22, 2019
- Play Ball! - March 21, 2019
- European Youth Hoops - March 21, 2019
- ‘Most Beautiful Thing’ - March 20, 2019
- YouTube Steps Up - March 20, 2019
- Arquette = True Crime - March 19, 2019
- Sleuth Breaks 4th Wall - March 19, 2019
- Schumer’s ‘Growing’ - March 18, 2019
- DC Universe Freebies - March 18, 2019