(Above: Ellen Page in ‘The Umbrella Academy.’ Source: YouTube screenshot)
Two star-studded superhero teams debut today on subscription streamers – The Umbrella Academy on Netflix and Doom Patrol on DC Universe.
Yet Ellen Page, the big star of The Umbrella Academy, plays a character without any superpowers. She’s The White Violin, one of a group of six dysfunctional siblings who reunite when their father dies. They must soon solve a mystery surrounding his death, not to mention the imminent threat of a global apocalypse.
The Umbrella Academy is based on a decade-old series of graphic novels and comics from Dark Horse Comics. All 10 episodes are now available on Netflix.
Doom Patrol stars Brendan Fraser as Robotman, Matt Bomer as Negative Man and Timothy Dalton as The Chief. The cast also includes April Bowlby at Elasti-Woman, Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane, and Alan Tudyk as villain Mr. Nobody.
The Doom Patrol, a team of reluctant outcast superheroes have starred in DC comic books since 1963, and guested on various animated and live action TV shows in recent years. But they’ve never headlined their own filmed adaptation until the new series.
After today’s premiere, another 14 episodes of Doom Patrol will premiere every Friday through May 24 on DC Universe.
Subscribers to DC Universe can also access related materials from Doom Patrol’s history, such as their first comic book appearances in My Greatest Adventure.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021