(Above: Gustaf Skarsgård is ‘The Library Thief’)
Dramatized true stories of literary crime don’t come aroundevery day. But two of them start streaming today!
We’ve already reported on the Movies Anywhere debut of Can You Ever Forgive Me?, starring Oscar-nominated Melissa McCarthy as Lee Israel, who forged hundreds of literary letters over several years.
But how about the MHz Choice debut of The Library Thief, starring Gustaf Skarsgård as John Johansson, who stole hundreds of rare books over several years?
Johannsson was a laid-off, downtrodden teacher who found part-time employment as a librarian in Stockholm’s Royal Library. He then began stealing library rarities and selling them at auction houses throughout Europe under the guise of “John Manneus.” But, as Johannsson/Manneus started leading a wealthy lifestyle, things went awry.
The Library Thief, a three-part subtitled drama, originally ran in Sweden in 2011 as Bibliotekstjuven. You might recognize star Skarsgård from his roles as Floti in Vikings and Karl Strand in Westworld.
MHZ Choice costs $7.99 monthly after a 30-day free trial. But you can get 50% off your first month by using the promo code NEWYEAR19. To subscribe, or for more info, visit mhzchoice.com.
- BitMovio’s Beta Launch - February 20, 2019
- Netflix: ‘Workin’ Moms’ - February 20, 2019
- Davis, Pride & ‘Me’ - February 19, 2019
- ‘Amos ‘n Andy Anatomy’ - February 15, 2019
- Unlikely Superheroes - February 15, 2019
- HG Wells & JJ Abrams - February 14, 2019
- ‘Singer Presents…Elvis’ - February 13, 2019
- Classic TV Weddings - February 13, 2019
- ‘The Way We Weren’t’ - February 12, 2019
- ‘Moscow Never Sleeps’ - February 12, 2019