(Above: Teresa Palmer and Matthew Goode in ‘A Discovery of Witches.’ Source: YouTube screenshot)
A Discovery of Witches, a fantasy-romance drama starring Downton Abbey’s Matthew Goode, will bow on two streaming services — Sundance Now and Shudder — Thursday, January 17.
The eight-episode series stars Hacksaw Ridge‘s Teresa Palmer as an Oxford University-based historian who is also a witch trying to deny her wiccan heritage. When she stumbles upon a long-lost bewitched manuscript, she enters a dangerous underworld. Along the way she encounters a vampire and geneticist (Goode), who hides a dark family secret.
The cast also includes Alex Kingston, Valarie Pettiford and Owen Teale.
The show is based on American Deborah Harkness’ 2011 debut novel of the same name.
A Discovery of Witches originally aired on the UK’s Sky One, which is reportedly planning a second and third season.
Sundance Now costs $6.99 monthly or $59.99 annually after a seven-day free trial.
Shudder costs $4.99 monthly or $49.99 annually following a seven-day free trial.
- ‘Trigger Warning’ - January 17, 2019
- IMDb’s ‘UnMade’ - January 17, 2019
- ‘Discovery’ Returns - January 16, 2019
- Glutton for ‘Punisher’ - January 14, 2019
- ‘Witches’ & Streamers - January 11, 2019
- Sex Ed Dramedy - January 10, 2019
- 100 Milestone Films - January 9, 2019
- Animation for Adults - January 8, 2019
- Back to the Future Man - January 8, 2019
- Sophomore ‘Friends’ - January 7, 2019