(Above: Teresa Palmer and Matthew Goode in ‘A Discovery of Witches.’ Source: YouTube screenshot)
A Discovery of Witches, a fantasy-romance drama starring Downton Abbey’s Matthew Goode, will bow on two streaming services — Sundance Now and Shudder — Thursday, January 17.
The eight-episode series stars Hacksaw Ridge‘s Teresa Palmer as an Oxford University-based historian who is also a witch trying to deny her wiccan heritage. When she stumbles upon a long-lost bewitched manuscript, she enters a dangerous underworld. Along the way she encounters a vampire and geneticist (Goode), who hides a dark family secret.
The cast also includes Alex Kingston, Valarie Pettiford and Owen Teale.
The show is based on American Deborah Harkness’ 2011 debut novel of the same name.
A Discovery of Witches originally aired on the UK’s Sky One, which is reportedly planning a second and third season.
Sundance Now costs $6.99 monthly or $59.99 annually after a seven-day free trial.
Shudder costs $4.99 monthly or $49.99 annually following a seven-day free trial.
- ‘Dead’ Profiles and More - July 14, 2021
- Kratts, Dogs, Wild Museums - July 12, 2021
- Troubled in Paradise - July 9, 2021
- More U.S. Viewers Cut the Cord - July 7, 2021
- Binge July 4th TV - July 2, 2021
- Binge ‘Hamilton’ and More - July 1, 2021
- ‘Twilight Zone’ Holiday - June 30, 2021
- ‘Innocent’ Anthology Returns - June 23, 2021
- South Asian Streamer Launches - June 21, 2021
- Apple TV+ Gets ‘Physical’ - June 16, 2021