Pennsylvania’s Amish Country has been the setting for a few crime dramas, most notably 1985’s Harrison Ford thriller Witness, but The Harvesting may be the first Amish horror flick.
Filmed in Lancaster County, The Harvesting tells the story of a family vacationing at an old country home where a “malevolent presence threatens to tear them apart by exposing their dark secrets.” The plot involves the ghost of an ax murderer, possession of a child’s mind, and local folk keeping secrets.
The Harvesting’s cast includes Chris Conner, who plays Poe in Netflix’a Altered Carbon; Elena Caruso (The Dark Path Chronicles); and Lancaster native Jennifer Gareis, a longtime CBS soap opera star on The Bold and The Beautiful and The Young and The Restless.
“I was born and raised in Lancaster, as were a good amount of our crew members and even a few actors, so we grew up with close ties to the Amish community,” noted Producer Dan Schultz. “We were able to call on consultants among the Amish who not only gave advice but also donated locations, equipment, clothing and more so that we could be as accurate as possible in portraying their way of life.”
You can now stream The Harvesting, starting at $3.99, from Amazon and other providers.
- Sandler & Aniston Again - June 14, 2019
- ‘Village of the Year’ - June 14, 2019
- RVN: ‘Bridging the Gap’ - June 13, 2019
- ‘Father Knows Best’ - June 12, 2019
- Netflix’s Arabic ‘Jinn’ - June 12, 2019
- ‘Real World’ Season 33 - June 11, 2019
- ‘City on a Hill’ Free - June 10, 2019
- Scandi-Kiwi Noir - June 10, 2019
- Binge ‘Adoptable!’ - June 7, 2019
- ‘Old Dogs & New Tricks’ - June 7, 2019