(Above: Gretchen Mol under attack in the opening scene of Syfy’s ‘Nightflyers’)
Nightflyers, based on a 1980 novella by Game of Thrones writer George R.R. Martin, premiered this week on SyFy, and anyone can stream the first two episodes for free.
We’ve got them for you below, along with an earlier 1987 movie adaptation.
While both versions of Nightflyers bring horror into an outer space setting, the new series gets to the point immediately, while the older film meanders around for more than half of its 90-minute length before anything horrifying occurs.
We haven’t read the original novella, but the 1987 flick includes voice-over narration that may come straight from Martin’s story. That doesn’t make it a good film, though.
SyFy’s series has far superior special effects, Boardwalk Empire‘s Gretchen Mol vs. Weekend at Bernie’s‘ Catherine Mary Stewart, a solid-looking hologram spaceship captain vs. a see-through one, and futuristic-looking technology rather than 1980s-style computers.
Our recommendation: Try out the SyFy series and only watch the earlier movie if you’re ravenous for more (but be forewarned that it may include spoilers of what’s yet to come in the series).
Episode one, 2018: “All That We Left Behind”
Episode two, 2018: “Torches and Pitchforks”
Another three episodes of Nightflyers have already run on Syfy, with the final five episodes to debut nightly this Sunday through Thursday. If you don’t subscribe to cable, telco or satellite services, you can stream SyFy through DirectTV Now, Fubo, Playstation Vue, Sling TV or YouTube TV subscriptions.
- Kobe’s Oscar Winner - January 27, 2020
- Netflix’s ‘Ragnarok’ - January 27, 2020
- Bieber vs. Swift Again - January 24, 2020
- ‘My Grandfather’s Prayers’ - January 24, 2020
- MHz’s Mafia Musical - January 23, 2020
- ‘October Faction’ Debuts - January 23, 2020
- ‘Story Trek: Trending’ - January 22, 2020
- DMR’s Linear Launches - January 22, 2020
- OTA Lifestyle Changes - January 21, 2020
- Court & Crime Additions - January 21, 2020