(Above: Amy Huberman in ‘Finding Joy’)
Acorn TV today launches two six-episode series: Finding Joy, a comedy from Ireland, and Vidago Palace, a romantic period drama from Portugal.
Amy Huberman appears to relish roles playing a woman coping with romantic breakups. In Acorn’s drama Striking Out, she reacts by starting her own law firm. In Finding Joy, which she also created and wrote, she goes for laughs –“just trying to figure out life and find happiness in all the wrong places.” The series first ran on Ireland’s RTÉ in October.
Carlotta (Mikaela Lupu) has her own romantic problems in Vidago Palace, an opulent hotel still operating in Portugal. But the series is set in 1936 when, with the Spanish Civil War erupting just across the nearby border, young aristocrat Carlotta must choose between marrying her wealthy finance (Pedro Barroso, with Lupo, right) to save her family from bankruptcy — or jilting him for her new love, the hotel concierge’s son. Co-produced with Spain’s TVG, the series first ran on Portugal’s RTP in March, 2017.
You can subscribe to Acorn TV for $4.99 monthly or $49.99 for a year, with a seven-day free trial. For more info, visit acorn.tv.
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021