(Above: Amy Huberman in ‘Finding Joy’)
Acorn TV today launches two six-episode series: Finding Joy, a comedy from Ireland, and Vidago Palace, a romantic period drama from Portugal.
Amy Huberman appears to relish roles playing a woman coping with romantic breakups. In Acorn’s drama Striking Out, she reacts by starting her own law firm. In Finding Joy, which she also created and wrote, she goes for laughs –“just trying to figure out life and find happiness in all the wrong places.” The series first ran on Ireland’s RTÉ in October.
Carlotta (Mikaela Lupu) has her own romantic problems in Vidago Palace, an opulent hotel still operating in Portugal. But the series is set in 1936 when, with the Spanish Civil War erupting just across the nearby border, young aristocrat Carlotta must choose between marrying her wealthy finance (Pedro Barroso, with Lupo, right) to save her family from bankruptcy — or jilting him for her new love, the hotel concierge’s son. Co-produced with Spain’s TVG, the series first ran on Portugal’s RTP in March, 2017.
You can subscribe to Acorn TV for $4.99 monthly or $49.99 for a year, with a seven-day free trial. For more info, visit acorn.tv.
- Blue Man Group Series - May 17, 2019
- ‘The Rain’ Drops Again - May 17, 2019
- Culture, Creepy, Weird - May 16, 2019
- ‘Earth’s Call’ Saturday - May 16, 2019
- Lipton, Conway Tributes - May 15, 2019
- Streaming ‘Scribbles’ - May 14, 2019
- Choi’s ‘Broken Bread’ - May 14, 2019
- RIP Doris Day - May 13, 2019
- Ms. Moviefone’s Show - May 10, 2019
- Asian Family Foodies - May 10, 2019