(Above: Karoline Schuch as Katharina von Bora in ‘Luther and I’)
Halloween is also Reformation Day, commemorating the moment 501 years ago when Martin Luther is said to have nailed his Ninety-Five Theses on the door of the All Saints’ Church in Germany’s Wittenberg, thus effectively launching Protestantism.
Subscription streamer MHz Choice today debuts two German dramas about those days, Luther and I and Reformation, both produced during 2017’s 500th anniversary year.
Luther and I, a TV movie originally titled Katharina Luther, dramatizes the true story of Luther’s future wife, Katharina von Bora, who in 1523 leaves her life as a cloistered nun to join his reform movement.
Reformation takes three hours over two episodes to tell “the story of the little monk from Wittenberg who put the ‘protest’ into Protestant and rocked the religious establishment of his time.” In its original German, it was titled Zwischen Himmel und Hölle, which translates to Between Heaven and Hell.
MHZ Choice costs $7.99 monthly after a 30-day free trial. But you can get 50% off your first month by using the promo code FALL18. To subscribe, or for more info, visit mhzchoice.com.
- Seen ‘Bachman’ Yet? - March 26, 2019
- ‘We Are Boats’ Sails - March 26, 2019
- What is WhatTV? - March 25, 2019
- ‘Soundbreaking’ Series - March 25, 2019
- Indian Crime & Cricket - March 22, 2019
- Sunday is ‘Playtime’ - March 22, 2019
- Play Ball! - March 21, 2019
- European Youth Hoops - March 21, 2019
- ‘Most Beautiful Thing’ - March 20, 2019
- YouTube Steps Up - March 20, 2019