(Above: PBS’ adaptation of ‘The Woman in White.’ Source: PBS)
The Woman in White, a five-part adaptation of Wilkie Collins’ seminal 1859 mystery novel, starts streaming on PBS.org and airing on PBS stations Sunday night at 10 pm (but check your local listings for exact days/times in your area).
A quick plot summary: Following an encounter with a mysterious woman in white (Jessie Buckley), a young teacher (Ben Hardy) finds himself drawn into a web of mystery and deception.
This series originally ran on the UK’s BBC One in April.
As you might have guessed, there have been numerous previous adaptations of The Woman in White.
They date back to the silent era, including this 1917 adaptation, with Florence LaBadie playing two roles:
One feature film was made from Collins’ novel: a 1948 flick starring Alexis Smith, Eleanor Parker, Sidney Greenstreet and Gig Young. You can see it on Thursday, October 25 at 6 pm ET over Turner Classic Movies, which is available via Playstation Vue packages and as a $5 add-on to Sling TV.
Here’s a 1997 British TV movie, which also aired on PBS.
A previous five-part British miniseries aired in 1982. You can stream it free on YouTube.
Here’s part one:
You can also read the novel, for free from Project Guttenberg.
- Tulsa Race Massacre, 1921 - May 18, 2021
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021