(Above source: YouTube screenshot)
Spoiler alert: This article recounts key developments from season one.
Netflix’s Emmy Award-winning documentary series, Making a Murderer, debuts a second 10-episode season this Friday, October 19.
Making a Murderer: Part 2 picks up where the first season left off, documenting efforts to exonerate Steven Avery and his nephew, Brendan Dassey, for the murder of 25-year-old photographer, Teresa Hallbach.
In season one, Avery, who spent nearly two decades in prison for another crime he didn’t commit, is freed thanks to exculpatory DNA evidence. He then sues Manitowoc County, Wisconsin and those involved in his arrest, only to be imprisoned, along with Dassey, for Hallbach’s murder.
(Trivia: Journalist Aaron Keller, seen in the first series, just landed a gig as the host of The Daily Debrief on the Law & Crime Network.)
Filmmakers Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos were again granted exclusive, behind-the-scenes access to the families and legal teams. The lawyers include Avery’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner, who specializes in overturning wrongful convictions; and Dassey’s team of Laura Nirider and Steven Drizin, who are with Northwestern University’s Center on Wrongful Convictions of Youth. The series also shows the emotional toll the lengthy legal process takes on their families.
For more information, visit Netflix.com/MakingaMurderer.
If you enjoy real-life legal dramas, you might also want to catch the 13-episode docuseries The Staircase, involving novelist Michael Petersen’s 16-year judicial battle to clear his name in his wife’s murder. That series too is available on Netflix.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021