(Above: ‘Emma’ is set to kick off Streaming Musicals)
Just a day after the launch of theater-focused subscription streamer Stage, a pay-per-title service devoted just to theatrical musicals will launch at midnight tonight.
Streaming Musicals’ first offering will be Emma, a contemporary musical version of the Jane Austen classic with book, music and lyrics by Paul Gordon, a 2001 Tony Award nominee for Jane Eyre.
Although Emma’s tagline is “A New Jane Austen Musical,” the show actually premiered in 2007 and has since been staged numerous times. The Streaming Musicals version was filmed earlier this year, without an audience, at New York’s Westside Theatre. Kelli Barrett stars as Emma.
The two-hour production can be rented for $7.99 or purchased for $19.99 at StreamingMusicals.com. You can get 30% off on pre-orders today by using code EMMATN. You can also enter your email address today at theatrenerds.com/streaming-musicals for a chance to win one of 20 free streams.
Future Streaming Musicals titles were not announced, but Jane Austen fans should be aware that Gordon has also done musical versions of Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice.
Emma, meanwhile, has been adapted numerous times non-musically for film and TV. Hulu subscribers, for example, can check out the 1996 film starring Gwyneth Paltrow. Hulu, Amazon Prime and BritBox subscribers can stream a 2009 BBC miniseries starring Romola Garai. And Starz subs can stream the 1995 comedic high school version, Clueless, starring Alicia Silverstone.
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021