(Above: Father Bob Weiss in ‘Lessons from a School Shooting: Notes from Dunblane.’ Source: YouTube screenshot)
Lessons from a School Shooting: Notes from Dunblane, a short documentary that will debut this Friday, September 28, on Netflix, tells the story of two priests, two mass shootings of children, and two very different results for gun reform.
Father Bob Weiss oversaw the burial of eight of the 20 children who were gunned down, along with six educators, at the Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, on December 14, 2012.
The tragedy prompted a fellow priest, Basil O’Sullivan from Dunblane, Scotland, to send a letter of commiseration to the traumatized Father Bob. Father Basil had found himself in a similar situation when, in 1996, a lone gunman shot and killed 16 school children in Dublane.
In the months to follow, the two priests conducted a long-distance correspondence sharing their experiences and efforts to heal. Father Basil relates Dunblane’s “Snowdrop” campaign that led to radical gun reform in the UK. Meanwhile, the US has experienced over 1,600 mass shootings since December 2012, including the recent Stoneman Douglas High School shooting that prompted a youth-led grassroots campaign, but no significant legislation.
The film, which won the Best Short Doc Award at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival, is described as a follow-up to the feature-length documentary Newtown (2016). You can also stream Newtown on Netflix.
For more information, visit Netflix.
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021
- ‘Pray, Obey, Kill’ Docuseries - April 12, 2021