(Above: Emma Stone in Netflix’s ‘Maniac.’)
“The mind can be solved.”
Netflix’s Maniac, a 10-episode drama debuting this Friday, September 21, tells the stories of participants in an unnervingly mysterious pharmaceutical trial.
The series’ leads are two marquee big screen actors: Emma Stone and Jonah Hill.
Stone is rudderless Annie Landsberg who can’t seem to escape dysfunctional relationships with her mother and sister. Hill is Owen Milgrim whose last name suggests a play-on-words (milligram, as in dosage, or the infamous Stanley Milgram experiment). Milgrim, from a wealthy family of industrialists, has spent a lifetime dealing with a disputed schizophrenia diagnosis.
The soothing and creepy Dr. James K. Mantleray (Justin Theroux), who claims to be the ultimate mind-fixer, lures Landsberg, Milgrim and ten other strangers to Neberdine Pharmaceutical and Biotech for a three-day drug trial. There, he assures the participants, he will alleviate their problems with no side effects.
Sally Field also stars as another doctor.
For more information, visit Netflix.
- Father and Son Serial Killers? - May 17, 2021
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021