(Above: Emma Stone in Netflix’s ‘Maniac.’)
“The mind can be solved.”
Netflix’s Maniac, a 10-episode drama debuting this Friday, September 21, tells the stories of participants in an unnervingly mysterious pharmaceutical trial.
The series’ leads are two marquee big screen actors: Emma Stone and Jonah Hill.
Stone is rudderless Annie Landsberg who can’t seem to escape dysfunctional relationships with her mother and sister. Hill is Owen Milgrim whose last name suggests a play-on-words (milligram, as in dosage, or the infamous Stanley Milgram experiment). Milgrim, from a wealthy family of industrialists, has spent a lifetime dealing with a disputed schizophrenia diagnosis.
The soothing and creepy Dr. James K. Mantleray (Justin Theroux), who claims to be the ultimate mind-fixer, lures Landsberg, Milgrim and ten other strangers to Neberdine Pharmaceutical and Biotech for a three-day drug trial. There, he assures the participants, he will alleviate their problems with no side effects.
Sally Field also stars as another doctor.
For more information, visit Netflix.
- ‘Mr. Belvedere’ Reunion - May 29, 2020
- ‘Holiday’ Viewing Party - May 29, 2020
- Carol Burnett on Shout! - May 28, 2020
- Animated ‘Central Park’ - May 28, 2020
- ‘Filthy Rich’ Epstein - May 27, 2020
- HBO Max’s Opening Slate - May 26, 2020
- Ultimate Shakespeare Binge - May 22, 2020
- ‘Homecoming’ Returns - May 22, 2020
- Guilty Pleasure Alert - May 21, 2020
- Soviet Gulag Drama - May 21, 2020