It’s officially called ‘CBS News Sunday Morning.’ But why spend our time quibbling?
At first glance, everything about today’s broadcast special, 40 Years of Sunday Morning, sounds wrong.
- The venerable CBS newsmagazine Sunday Morning debuted in January 1979, so the celebration is a few months early;
- Today’s not Sunday, but Friday;
- The special’s on at night, not in the morning!
Then again, NBC Sunday Night Football seems to air any night of the week, so why argue?
Instead, tune in at 8 pm tonight to your local CBS station or stream the one-hour special on CBS All Access.
Anchored by current CBS Sunday Morning host Jane Pauley, the show will feature a new profile of the first human conceived through in vitro fertilization, who’s also 40 years old. Other new segments will include visits with acting icon Robert Redford, fashion’s Ralph Lauren, and the husband/wife team of music superstar John Legend and supermodel Chrissy Teigen.
What about the previous 40 years of Sunday Morning?
The special promises a report on how pop culture has changed over the past four decades, along with a salute in verse by Ted Koppel.
We suspect that’s also a salute to Sunday Morning’s first two hosts, both fond of verse and both named Charles: Charles Kuralt, who reigned for 15 years until 1994, and Charles Osgood, who took over for the next 12 years until 2006.
Here’s Kuralt’s final six minutes, including a poem and the shows’ signature “moment of nature” ending:
And here’s Osgood with a poem for this time of year:
Sunday Morning, which continues to focus on the arts, humanities and entertainment, airs regularly for 90 minutes at 9 am ET/7 am PT. On Sundays, of course.
- A ‘Concentration’ Puzzle - September 21, 2018
- Diana, Elvis & Son Pete - September 20, 2018
- Will Smith’s Grand Jump - September 20, 2018
- ‘Glitterbomb’ Thursdays - September 19, 2018
- Catch ‘Randy’s Canvas’ - September 18, 2018
- “Wire in the Blood’ - September 17, 2018
- They Are ‘Only Children’ - September 17, 2018
- ‘Murphy’ Streams…Finally! - September 14, 2018
- ‘Sunday Morning’ Tonight - September 14, 2018
- Na-nu, Na-nu! - September 13, 2018