(Above: Dionne Warwick and Campbell. Source: YouTube screenshot)
Wednesday, August 8, is the first anniversary of Glen Campbell’s death.
GetTV will commemorate Campbell this Sunday night/Monday morning with eight free hours of classic variety shows featuring the iconic singer and TV/movie star.
Then, at midnight, it’s six half-hours of the 1982-1983 syndicated series The Glen Campbell Music Show. Guests include Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette and Jerry Reed.
Boomers, though, are much more likely to remember Campbell’s hit 1969-1972 CBS series, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour. You can stream eight episodes of that series free at Shout Factory TV. Guests include Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Neil Diamond and John Wayne.
Here are the Monkees on the show’s second episode:
The Goodtime Hour was an outgrowth of the Campbell-hosted Summer Brothers Smothers Show, which ran on CBS exactly 50 years ago this summer. To mark the anniversary, here are highlights from the first episode, followed by Campbell introducing Cream, who perform “Sunshine of Your Love”:
GetTV won’t show either Goodtime Hour or the Summer Brothers Smothers Show, but its Campbell tribute will continue at 3 am Monday with the singer’s guest appearance on a 1969 CBS special Dionne Warwick: Souled Out.
You can receive GetTV free with an antenna connected to your TV set. To locate your local station, visit GetTV’s “Get the Channel” page.
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021