(Above photo source: Snap and DC Entertainment)
DC Entertainment, owner of that superhero of satire, Alfred E. Neuman, will bring MAD Magazine’s famously irreverent humor to Snapchat, starting Saturday, September 1.
Snapchat users will find memes, slide shows, interactive lists and animated gifs. MAD writers and illustrators will curate some content from the magazine’s archives. Other bits will focus on contemporary topics, including sports, celebrities, politics, pop culture and virtually “anything else in the zeitgeist.”
Former Mad Senior Vice President/Executive Editor John Ficarra will oversee the project with Peter Girardi, executive vice president of Warner Bros. Television Group’s digital content studio, Blue Ribbon Content.
Ficarra and Girardi previously teamed on the MAD animated series which ran four seasons on the Cartoon Network (2010-2013).
You might also want to check out the live-action sketch comedy, MADtv, a Saturday Night Live competitor that ran on Fox for 14 seasons (1995-2009) with a short 15th season on The CW in 2016. That show included a regular animated segment featuring the popular magazine feature “Spy vs. Spy,” along with interstitials featuring the face of Alfred E. Neuman. Over the years, cast members included Will Sasso, The Big Bang Theory’s Simon Helberg, Get Out director Jordan Peele and his sometime comedy partner Keegan-Michael Keye, Howard Stern’s Artie Lange, SNL’s Taran Killam, Michael McDonald, Bobby Lee and impressionist Frank Caliendo.
Here’s McDonald as Stuart, a recurring character:
- Father & Son Serial Killers? - May 17, 2021
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021