The documentary, Sidemen: Long Road to Glory, which takes “a heartfelt, intimate look at the lives and legacies of three legendary bluesmen,” is scheduled to be “available exclusively for pre-order” on iTunes today.
A price was not announced.
The film captures pianist Pinetop Perkins, drummer Willie “Big Eyes” Smith and guitarist Hubert Sumlin, all sidemen with Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf, as they go on the road playing classic blues songs. It features some of their last interviews and live performances.
“Sadly, the 2011 deaths of Willie, Pine and Hubert altered the film’s initial Last Waltz style vision; to capture these legends performing live versions of classic blues songs with the musicians they had so heavily influenced,” Sidemen’s producers said. This film captures “the personal triumphs, tragedies and tremendous perseverance of three of the last original Delta and Chicago bluesmen while preserving a critical legacy that is nothing short of our last links to the origins of all popular music.”
Sidemen: Long Road to Glory, which Marc Maron narrates, includes appearances by Gregg Allman, Joe Bonamassa,Shemekia Copeland, Warren Haynes, Robby Krieger, Joe Perry, Bonnie Raitt, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks and the late Johnny Winter.
Scott D. Rosenbaum directed and served as a co-producer.
Variety called the documentary “an exceptionally entertaining and captivating tribute.”
For more, visit Sidemen.com.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021