(Above: Natalie Dormer in ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock.’ Source: YouTube Screenshot)
Picnic at Hanging Rock, a six-episode mystery drama starring Game of Thrones’ Natalie Dormer, debuts today on Amazon Prime.
Based on Joan Lindsay’s novel, the series, which was shot in Victoria, Australia, involves an investigation into the disappearances of three schoolgirls and one teacher on Valentine’s Day in 1900. The event has a “far-reaching impact on the students, families and staff at Appleyard College, and on the nearby township.”
In the new version, Dormer plays Hester Appleyard, the “enigmatic” headmistress of a boarding school that she established for young ladies isolated in the Australian bushland.
The three children who vanish are Irma Leopold (Samara Weaving), a Rothschild heiress; Marion Quade (Madeleine Madden), daughter of a high court Justice; and Miranda Reid, (Lily Sullivan), “the rebellious tomboy who grew up with four brothers on a cattle station.”
The cast also includes Lola Bessis, Yael Stone, Anna McGahan, Sibylla Budd, Ruby Rees, and Inez Curro.
For more information, visit Amazon.
Picnic at Hanging Rock was previously made into a 1975 feature film. That version “put director Peter Weir on the map and helped usher in a new era of Australian cinema,” according to Filmstruck. Filmstruck offers the movie to its subscribers. Subscription plans start at $6.99 a month. You can also stream Picnic for $3.99 from Amazon or iTunes.
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021
- ‘Pray, Obey, Kill’ Docuseries - April 12, 2021