(Above: Anna Maxwell Martin. Source: YouTube screenshot)
Fans of Amazon Prime’s romantic sitcom Catastrophe, take note: Co-star and co-writer Sharon Horgan’s subsequent British comedy Motherland premieres this Thursday, May 10, on subscription streamer Sundance Now.
Horgan doesn’t appear in Motherland, but co-created the series and co-wrote all the episodes.
The seven-episode series, which has already run in the UK on the BBC, follows the life of Julia, a struggling working single mother played by Anna Maxwell Martin (Philomena, The Night Watch) who meets a group of “Alpha Moms,” including “Queen Bee’ Amanda (Lucy Punch), low-energy mom Liz (Diane Morgan), and even stay-at-home dad Kevin (Paul Ready).
The BBC has already ordered a second season of Motherland, which will run in the UK later this year. A fourth season of Catastrophe is also on tap for the UK’s Channel 4 and Amazon. And you can see two seasons (20 episodes) of Divorce, a recent American comedy series co-created and co-written by Horgan, on HBO Now. Sarah Jessica Parker, Thomas Haden Church and Molly Shannon star.
Sundance Now, offering independent films, documentaries and TV series, costs $6.99 monthly or $59.99 annually after a seven-day free trial. It’s available at sundancenow.com or via iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, Fire TV and Chromecast.
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021
- ‘Philly D.A.’ Docuseries - April 20, 2021