(Above: Jessica Chastain as Salomé)
As Broadway HD gets set to debut Al Pacino’s ‘ ‘Salomé,’ a competitor called Stage gets ready to launch.
Chastain plays Salomé, a princess who agrees to perform the erotic “Dance of the Seven Veils” for her stepfather King Herod (Pacino) in return for getting the head of John of Baptist (Kevin Anderson) on a silver platter.
To entice you to stream the whole production, here’s the dance scene (and yes, all the veils get removed):
BroadwayHD’s premiere of what Pacino calls an “attempt to merge play and film” represents a rare theatrical film offering on the three-year-old service, which boasts a library of more than 190 “Broadway-caliber” productions and has also presented several Broadway shows live.
BroadwayHD, though, is about to get a competitor: Stage. Calling itself “the first streaming network devoted to the world of theatre,” Stage plans to launch in August with “live theatre, documentaries, talk shows, concerts and Broadway shows, films, international theatre and more.”
Stage’s original content will include:
- Studio Sessions, with each episode featuring stars like Kate Baldwin, Telly Leung and Chita Rivera celebrating specific composers like Kander and Ebb (Cabaret, Chicago) and Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Godspell, Pippin) through acoustic performances;
- CrossOvers, a talk show featuring interviews with performers who have crossed over from theatre to another medium (or vice versa);
- The Next Great American Musical, a reality show in which new musicals are presented and judged until one show wins a Broadway production;
- Thursday in the Park, a reality show following three performers who play weekly softball games in Central Park every Thursday in the spring and summer as part of the 63-year-old Broadway Show League.
Stage plans to launch for free in August, then transitioning that month to a subscription service while retaining some free content. Pricing was not announced. For more info, including device list, visit thestagenetwork.com.
BroadwayHD costs $8.99 monthly or $99.99 annually, with a one-week free trial. For more info, including device list, visit broadwayhd.com.
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021