(Above: Hand-drawn animation of Curt Cobain. Source: YouTube)
The series uses hand-drawn animation to tell “the stories that fell through the floorboards of music history.”
Drew Christie directed and animated the 20 mini-episode series, which revisits music’s past through “the raspy, baritone voice” of T Bone Burnett.
Van Toffler, CEO and co-founder of Gunpowder & Sky, and music television producer Bill Flanagan co-produce the series that illustrates “a side of people behind the melodies that may never have been known.”
“Drawn & Recorded is all about telling great music stories that have been locked away in folklore, and to tell them in a unique way,” said Toffler.
The new season’s debut episode focuses on Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen, who fled communist Cuba after being detained as a suspected spy.
Future stories involve rapper MF Doom, country music’s the Carter Family, Elvis Presley, David Bowie and the Beatles.
This episode about Kurt Cobain is from a previous season:
You can stream Audience on DirecTV Now, which offers subscription plans starting at $35 a month for 60+ channels.
Drawn & Recorded episodes are also available on the music streaming platform Spotify.
- Father & Son Serial Killers? - May 17, 2021
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021