Featuring dual stories of religious fundamentalism and lesbianism, along with ample nudity, Unfreedom is now not only available to Netflix subscribers, but also free right here to Savvy Screener readers — thanks to YouTube, where it has garnered 2.2 million views since August 2017!
Written, directed and produced by Raj Amit Kumar, Unfreedom alternates between the US and India. In New York, a Muslim terrorist attempts to silence a liberal Muslim scholar. Meanwhile, in New Delhi, a young woman in a secret lesbian romance defies her devout father by escaping an arranged marriage. To what lengths will they all go “to hold on to their strong and conflicting viewpoints on freedom, faith, family and love”?
Apparently, India’s Censor Board of Film Certification felt that Unfreedom would “ignite unnatural…passions and incite rapes and communal violence.” Now everyone, Indians as well as the rest of the world, can judge for themselves.
- The Best Web Series? - January 16, 2019
- Uplift for Shutdown - January 16, 2019
- Hulu Starts Two Fyres - January 15, 2019
- ‘Murphy’s Law’ Returns - January 14, 2019
- IMDb Freedive Debuts - January 11, 2019
- ‘Mormon Love’ on FB - January 11, 2019
- Save the Swamps! - January 10, 2019
- Amish Horror Flick - January 9, 2019
- ‘Temptation Island’ - January 8, 2019
- PopcornFlix Grows - January 8, 2019