Featuring dual stories of religious fundamentalism and lesbianism, along with ample nudity, Unfreedom is now not only available to Netflix subscribers, but also free right here to Savvy Screener readers — thanks to YouTube, where it has garnered 2.2 million views since August 2017!
Written, directed and produced by Raj Amit Kumar, Unfreedom alternates between the US and India. In New York, a Muslim terrorist attempts to silence a liberal Muslim scholar. Meanwhile, in New Delhi, a young woman in a secret lesbian romance defies her devout father by escaping an arranged marriage. To what lengths will they all go “to hold on to their strong and conflicting viewpoints on freedom, faith, family and love”?
Apparently, India’s Censor Board of Film Certification felt that Unfreedom would “ignite unnatural…passions and incite rapes and communal violence.” Now everyone, Indians as well as the rest of the world, can judge for themselves.
- Tulsa Race Massacre, 1921 - May 18, 2021
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021