(Above: ‘The Marriage of a Young Stockbroker’)
Looking for a particular rare film that you perhaps thought you’d never see again? Just want to discover rare hidden gems?
In either case, we’d suggest a visit to rarefilmm, “the cave of forgotten films,” a long-running site which itself recently resurfaced after an absence of over a year. Curated by “Jon W,” the site now includes 257 free movies, with another thousand-plus films from its old incarnation in the process of being re-uploaded.
In the past week alone, the following have surfaced at rarefilmm:
- A 1997 film about lovers on the Titanic. It stars Leonardo DiCap….NO, not that one, of course! We’re talking instead about The Chambermaid on the Titanic, a French-language romance Here it is in its original language, but you can see it with subtitles only at rarefilmm.com.
- Great Catherine (1968), a slapstick comedy about Savvy Screener favorite Catherine the Great, based on a play by George Bernard Shaw and starring Jeanne Moreau (Catherine), Zero Mostel (Potemkin) and Peter O’Toole. Enjoy this clip!
- The Marriage of a Young Stockbroker (1971), a comedy starring Richard Benjamin, Joanna Shimkus and Adam West. We’ll leave it to Larry Karaszewski, a Golden Globe-winning writer for The People vs. Larry Flynt and Emmy winner for American Crime Story: The People vs. O.J, Simpson, to convince you to watch it:
For links to all titles, visit rarefilmm.com/films-index.
- ‘Sacred Lies,’ Season 2 - February 18, 2020
- ‘Odd Squad,’ Season 3 - February 17, 2020
- ‘Fairy Tale Weddings’ - February 14, 2020
- GetTV’s Grizzly Saturday - February 13, 2020
- Galaxy S20’s Flipboard TV - February 13, 2020
- Hulu’s Musical Debuts - February 12, 2020
- Watch V-Day Marathons - February 11, 2020
- RIP Bean, Conrad - February 10, 2020
- Alison Brie: ‘Horse Girl’ - February 7, 2020
- Kirk’s Greatest Hits: TV - February 7, 2020