(Above: Mikhail Porechenkov and Katerina Shpitsa in ‘The Iron Ivan’)
Fan of Russian period dramas such as Ekaterina or Matilda? How about heroic sports stories and/or epic romances? Then you may want to check out The Iron Ivan (2014), which spans 45 years in the life of a wrestling superstar during the first half of the 20th Century.
Originally titled Poddubny, the film is based on the true story of strongman Ivan Poddubny, who rose from Ukrainian circus performer to Russian national hero and international wrestling champion, losing only two matches during his long career. Encompassing such locales as Paris and New York (as portrayed by Sofia, Bulgaria), The Iron Ivan stars Mikhail Porechenkov as Poddubny and Katerina Shpitsa as the love of his life.
Already available in a subtitled version from Amazon (free for Prime subscribers, $1.99 for others), Tubi TV (free, with ads) and other providers, The Iron Ivan has now been dubbed into English by GM Voices, with the new version debuting soon on Amazon.
- Burlesque Fest Oct. 1-4 - September 29, 2020
- Herb Alpert Doc Free 10/1 - September 29, 2020
- ‘God’s Wrecking Ball’ - September 28, 2020
- Grandfather of the Bride? - September 25, 2020
- Anarchist Dispatches - September 25, 2020
- Amazon’s Utopian Vision - September 24, 2020
- Women’s Cancer Benefit - September 24, 2020
- Thursday’s for the Dogs - September 22, 2020
- Tales of Two ‘Doctors’ - September 21, 2020
- ‘Spides’ Free on Crackle - September 17, 2020