Is diplomacy doomed under Donald Trump?
Sometimes it can seem that way.
In this case, we’re not talking about the president’s endless barrage of ad hominem tweets but the Washington, DC diplomatic community.
Following attrition at the State Department under his reign, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was fired early last week. Also, on an admittedly smaller scale, came word of the impending shutdown of nearly a dozen over-the-air TV channels providing the community with English-language news from an international perspective.
Tillerson and the TV channels will exit the foreign relations field together at month’s end.
The shutting down of the DC channels, which were provided by MHz Networks over the digital frequencies of channel 30, provides further evidence of the erosion of niche broadcast stations following last year’s FCC spectrum auction.
The doomed channels include:
- MHz Worldview, featuring news as well as international mysteries
- TRT World, from Turkey
- RT, from Russia
- Africa Today
- CGTN and CNC World, from China
- France 24
- Airang, from South Korea
- TeleSur, from Latin America
- Deutsche Welle, from Germany
- NetViet (from Vietnam)
If you’re in the DC area and have an over-the-air antenna hooked up to your TV set, you can still check out all the channels over the next two weeks. For schedules and specific channel numbers, visit mhznetworks.com/schedule.
To make up for the loss of all these channels, MHz Networks is offering anyone in the DC area a special deal on MHz Choice, its subscription streaming service specializing in subtitled international mysteries (such as Spring Tide, which debuts tomorrow). By using promo code MHZDC at mhzchoice.com, new subscribers will get 50% off their first two months after a 30-day free trial. Then, the regular $7.99 monthly fee will kick in.
- French Film Noir Streams - May 3, 2021
- ‘The Best of Bugs Bunny’ - April 30, 2021
- Sleeping with Netflix - April 28, 2021
- ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Returns - April 27, 2021
- Polish Pleasures This Week - April 26, 2021
- ‘The Skipper’ as ‘Casey Jones’ - April 15, 2021
- Late Day’s Light Night - April 14, 2021
- ‘Holocaust to Hollywood’ - April 7, 2021
- Scully and Mulder on Comet - April 5, 2021
- ‘Wild Kingdom’ Comes Back - April 2, 2021