(Above: Artist’s impression of an Orbital from the Culture, setting for ‘Consider Phlebas.’ Credit: Hill – Giuseppe Gerbino)
Amazon did not provide an anticipated premiere date.
The book, which depicts “a highly advanced and progressive society (that) ends up at war with the Idirans, a deeply religious, warlike race intent on dominating the entire galaxy,” is being adapted by British writer/producer Dennis Kelly.
Consider Phlebas follows “Horza, a rogue agent tasked by the Idirans with the impossible mission of recovering a missing Culture ‘Mind,’ an artificial intelligence many thousands of times smarter than any human—something that could hold the key to wiping out the Culture altogether.”
Said Kelly: “Far from being the dystopian nightmares that we are used to, Banks creates a kind of flawed paradise, a society truly worth fighting for—rather than a warning from the future, his books are a beckoning.”
Brad Pitt’s company Plan B Entertainment is producing. The Estate of Iain Banks serves as executive producer. (Banks passed away in 2013 at the age of 59.)
Should Consider Phlebas find Game of Thrones-like success, Kelly will have plenty of source material from which to draw. The Culture series includes 10 books.
To subscribe to Amazon Prime, visit amazon.com/prime.
- South Asian Streamer Launches - June 21, 2021
- Apple TV+ Gets ‘Physical’ - June 16, 2021
- Full ‘Treatment’ on HBO Max - June 14, 2021
- Washington Heights Musical - June 11, 2021
- ‘Infinite’ Wahlberg on Paramount+ - June 9, 2021
- Romero’s Lost ‘Amusement Park’ - June 7, 2021
- HBO Max’s New ‘Conjuring’ Tale - June 4, 2021
- Peacock’s ‘Lady Parts’ Comedy - June 2, 2021
- WNBA Tips Off on Amazon - May 28, 2021
- Reanimated ‘Rugrats’ - May 26, 2021