French acting icon Gérard Depardieu returns to Netflix this Friday, February 23, in the second season of the political thriller Marseille.
Depardieu, who received a Best Actor Oscar nominaton for 1990’s Cyrano de Bergerac, stars as the port city’s longtime mayor. He had been “preparing to hand over the reigns to his protégé…when a sudden and ruthless battle erupts for control of the city.”
Benoît Magimel, who plays Depardieu’s political rival, is himself a major French star, having won best supporting actor honors from the country’s César Awards for his role in Standing Tall (2015), also available on Netflix.
As season two of Marseilles starts, the mayor is incapacitated due to a recent stroke and his rival is nine votes short of taking over, “with the extreme right waiting backstage to make its move.”
Netflix subscribers can watch season one (eight episodes) now, before another eight episodes drop on Friday.
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021