(Above: Annette Bening in ‘Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool.’ Photo: Sony Pictures Classics)
After 17 years, AARP’s Movies for Grownups Awards will be broadcast and streamed for the first time ever next Friday, February 23.
The show, part of PBS’s Great Performances series, was actually taped last week in Beverly Hills, so we can tell you that host Alan Cumming will perform musical parodies of Get Out, Lady Bird, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
We can also tell you that Helen Mirren will receive Career Achievement honors, and – SPOILER ALERT – that the following films/actors will take home top honors:
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi, for Best Picture, with the award presented by film co-stars Mark Hamill and Kelly Marie Tran to the fim’s director Rian Johnson;
- Gary Oldman, Best Actor, for Darkest Hour, presented by co-star Ben Mendelsohn;
- Annette Bening, Best Actress, for Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, presented by Alfre Woodard.
Another highlight promises to be Ken Sturdy, a World War II veteran and Battle of Dunkirk survivor, who will accept the Best Time Capsule award for Dunkirk.
For the names of the remaining winners – which include Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, Best Screenwriter, Best Ensemble, Best Grownup Love Story, Best Intergenerational Film and Best Documentary – please visit PBS.org.
- Dorothy Stratten Videos - October 18, 2019
- YouTube’s ‘Booktube’ - October 17, 2019
- Facebook’s ‘Limetown’ - October 16, 2019
- An Ad-Supported MHz - October 16, 2019
- ‘Craig Fixada America’ - October 15, 2019
- Fill up on ‘Corner Gas’ - October 14, 2019
- Robert Forster Sampler - October 14, 2019
- HBO’s Gary Gulman Free - October 11, 2019
- 25 Films in 25 Minutes - October 11, 2019
- Marshall Efron Classics - October 10, 2019