(Above: Grupo Galpão’s production of ‘Romeo and Juliet’)
Two performing arts streamers are offering different versions of Shakespeare’s classic romance Romeo and Juliet this month.
In an effort to woo new subscribers, Cennarium is presenting a valentine — free access to a 2012 Brazilian production of the play about the forbidden love affair between two young people from rival families.
Alas, love is fleeting — the offer is good only from February 12 through 14.
Directed by Gabriel Villela and performed by the Brazilian theatrical company Grupo Galpão, this 91-minute version “is filled with humor and language inspired by the local (Brazilian) countryside.” It was performed 250 times in 10 different countries, including at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London.
You can sign-up in advance for free access at cennarium.com.
A Cennarium subscription costs $9.97/month or $95.64/year. For more info, visit cennarium.com.
Then there is Cennarium’s star-crossed competitor Marquee, which is streaming a more traditional staging of Romeo and Juliet.
Dominic Dromgoole’s 2009 171-minute production, filmed at the Globe Theatre, stars Ellie Kendrick and Adetomiwa Edun in period costumes.
Marquee, to mark the launch of its app for AppleTV devices, is courting new subscribers with 30% off the first year of an annual subscription. To obtain the discount, register at marqueearts.tv/signup/account using the code “appletv30.”
For $8.99 monthly or $89.99 annually (both with a 14-day free trial), Marquee provides content in five categories: dance, opera, music, documentary and theater. (You can also use choose to use code “Charter10” for a 10% “lifetime” discount).
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021