(Above: Gorgeous Gorgeous George attempting to pin another wrestler to the mat. Image by Stanley Kubrick from ‘Look’ magazine photo assignment, 1948. From Wikimedia Commons.)
For fans of classic wrestling, it might not get any better than this: a free 13-hour marathon of action ranging from Andre the Giant, Gorgeous George and the original GLOW gals, to comic Andy Kaufman battling Jerry “The King” Lawler.
The marathon includes the following documentaries:
Brawlin’ Beauties 2, which goes even further back into the roots of women’s wrestling (one hour);
The Glory Days of Wrestling, with matches from pro wrestling’s first TV golden age in the 1950s, including Dick the Bruiser, “Haystack” Calhoun and Gorgeous George. (two hours).
Can’t wait for the marathon? All the docs above can be accessed now on demand at Shout Factory TV. Just click or tap on their titles above!
And here, from YouTube, enjoy some classic Kaufman-Lawler action:
- ‘Upright’: Quite Alright! - July 31, 2020
- Zooming In, Hanging On - July 30, 2020
- ‘The Cuban’ Reviewed - July 29, 2020
- Pandemic Productions - July 28, 2020
- The UMP Cruiser is Back! - July 27, 2020
- The Old Guard: Influences - July 24, 2020
- ‘Bubbies and Sistas’ - July 24, 2020
- African Diaspora Film Fest - July 23, 2020
- Binge ‘The Cisco Kid’ - July 22, 2020
- RIP Civil Rights Leaders - July 21, 2020