(Above: Gorgeous Gorgeous George attempting to pin another wrestler to the mat. Image by Stanley Kubrick from ‘Look’ magazine photo assignment, 1948. From Wikimedia Commons.)
For fans of classic wrestling, it might not get any better than this: a free 13-hour marathon of action ranging from Andre the Giant, Gorgeous George and the original GLOW gals, to comic Andy Kaufman battling Jerry “The King” Lawler.
The marathon includes the following documentaries:
Brawlin’ Beauties 2, which goes even further back into the roots of women’s wrestling (one hour);
The Glory Days of Wrestling, with matches from pro wrestling’s first TV golden age in the 1950s, including Dick the Bruiser, “Haystack” Calhoun and Gorgeous George. (two hours).
Can’t wait for the marathon? All the docs above can be accessed now on demand at Shout Factory TV. Just click or tap on their titles above!
And here, from YouTube, enjoy some classic Kaufman-Lawler action:
- She’s Molly of Denali - July 15, 2019
- ‘Brash Girls Club’ Trio - July 15, 2019
- Fox Brings Back Decades - July 12, 2019
- ‘Point Blank’ Binge - July 12, 2019
- Streaming Rip Torn - July 11, 2019
- Friends in High Places - July 10, 2019
- Verrry Interesting… - July 10, 2019
- Prime Taylor Swift - July 9, 2019
- Unicorn Killers - July 9, 2019
- PBS Goes to the Moon - July 8, 2019