(Above: Leszek Lichota stars as Captain Wiktor Rebrow in ‘Wataha’)
Wataha, a six-part thriller focusing on Ukrainian migrants smuggled across the Polish border, premieres tomorrow, January 16, on subscription streamer MHz Choice. Produced by HBO Europe, Wataha is MHz’s first-ever series from Poland, where it debuted in 2014.
Wataha is Polish for “pack,” a reference to both the wolf packs in the Bieszczady Mountains where the series was filmed, and to the Polish Border Guard teams who patrol the area. One of those guards becomes the chief suspect when the rest of his “pack” is killed in a bomb attack. While being hunted, “he must use all his survival and detective skills to track down those responsible and clear his name.”
When Wataha premiered in the UK – two days before the 2016 Brexit vote — it was retitled The Border. At the time, The Guardian called it “an unflinching look at xenophobia and misogyny in Poland and Ukraine….The drama doesn’t demonize or sanctify migrants, but focuses on the rivals fighting over them: The traders who see vulnerable humans as booty, and the unwilling host country for whom they are both a political problem and a propaganda opportunity.”
MHz Choice will debut two episodes of Wataha each Tuesday through January 30.
The service offers web, smartphone, iPhone/iPad, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Prime and FireTV users more than 2,000 hours of subtitled mysteries, dramas and comedies from Europe and around the world.
MHz Choice costs $7.99 monthly after a 30-day free trial. Right now, you can get 50% off your first month by using the promo code HOLIDAY17. To subscribe, or for more info, visit mhzchoice.com.
- ‘Petrunya,’ Unlikely Rebel - June 21, 2021
- Free ‘Weasel’ & ‘Monkey’ - June 18, 2021
- Stream ‘Cracka’ Free - June 18, 2021
- Revry Escorts ‘Strut’ 6/18 - June 17, 2021
- Lubin’s Silent Film Empire - June 17, 2021
- ‘Oral’ Pilot Reading 6/17 - June 16, 2021
- Welcome Back, ‘iCarly’ - June 15, 2021
- ‘Rent’ Comes to Cuba - June 15, 2021
- Fredi Washington: ‘Ouanga’ - June 14, 2021
- Peacock Struts on JustWatch - June 11, 2021