Want to see a movie in 3D? Until this week, you had to go to a movie theater or buy a Blu-Ray disc. On Friday, though, Bigscreen will launch 3D movie streams via its virtual reality app. First up, for free: Top Gun, the 1986 classic starring Tom Cruise, which was converted into 3D a few years back.
Top Gun’s 3D streams will start 6 pm Friday, December 29, and run at “regular intervals” for only 24 hours. You’ll need the free Bigscreen app, available from Oculus, Steam or Microsoft. You’ll also need a Windows 10 PC and one of the following headsets: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, SteamVR-compatible or Windows Mixed Reality.
Bigscreen aims to emulate a movie theater experience. You’ll start in a lobby where you “have the option of meeting friends before entering the cinema.” You’ll also “see entrances to four different showtimes…To enter a screening…look at the top of a cinema entrance and an eight- second timer will count down before teleporting you and your friends automatically into the cinema.”
Once the flick begins, via voice chat and avatars, users can “feel like they are sitting next to their friends.”
For more information about the Top Gun streaming screenings, or to attend, visit bigscreenvr.com/topgun.
In 2018, Bigscreen plans to begin weekly “virtual movie theater” screenings of movies, TV shows, and other video content. For updates, visit or subscribe to Bigscreen’s Facebook Events page.
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021